Deputy Director of Government Affairs & Communications
JOB TITLE: DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS & COMMUNICATIONS
LOCATION: WASHINGTON DC
REPORTS TO: VICE PRESIDENT OF COMMUNICATIONS (the “VPC”)
Live Action’s Strategic Communications & Government Affairs Program (the “Program”) works with citizens, influencers, and leaders to offer bold and creative public policy solutions to completely abolish the horrific scandal of abortion while proliferating and advancing policies intended to cultivate and invigorate our nation's greatest resource: the American family and ensures Live Actions strategic communication goals of shifting the national media narrative are met.
The Program ultimately seeks to achieve full legal protections for preborn children and to expose the corruption and wrongdoing of abortion providers. To achieve these goals, the Program cultivates strategic relationships with government officials and pro-life leaders and utilizes Live Action’s educational content and investigative reporting to educate government officials and shift the media narrative. The program also aims to craft a new ruling imaginative vision for the nation concerning the right to life and the importance of the American family. These strategies are aimed at reshaping the public conversation about abortion, preborn life, and the importance of the family.
The DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS & STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS (the “Deputy”) manages the Program and develops a Program strategy. The Director is Live Action’s primary point of contact for elected and government officials and other policymakers (collectively, “key officials”). The deputy represents Live Action in front of key officials, advises Live Action on the impact of proposed legislation and regulations, and determines an appropriate response. The Deputy may be required to speak publicly on behalf of Live Action to government officials, pro-life nonprofits or allied groups, or to the media.
The Deputy is an avid news consumer with an understanding of Live Action’s voice and an ability to strategize and create content for all media channels, including externally placed op-ed’s, internally placed news items, speeches, podcast & video scripts, and stakeholder-focused content. The Deputy will also interface with policy and coalition leaders to build relationships and assist in the execution of Government Affairs goals.
At Live Action, every program, department, and campaign is in some way connected to the organization’s outward facing Strategic Communications. The Deputy is responsible for working closely with Live Action’s Vice President of Communications to develop, refine, and distribute high-level messaging and communication points. In addition, it is the responsibility of the Deputy to take these key points to drive the production of content with outside contractors and other employees.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Cultivates: Cultivates strategic relationships with key officials, with an emphasis on federal government officials based in Washington D.C. Additionally, cultivates strategic relationships with state and local officials, and pro-life leaders from allied and partner organizations. Identifies potential relationships, working groups, and alliances, in furtherance of the Program goals.
- Identifies, Analyzes & Recommends: Identifies and analyzes significant political and legal developments at the state and federal levels which impact the Program—including bills under consideration, regulatory changes, executive orders, major court decisions, and other governmental policies. Recommends the position Live Action should hold on these political developments and identifies any means available to Live Action to advance a pro-life agenda of the Program.
- Communicates: Works closely with Live Action’s Vice President of Comnicationsand President and External Communications department to develop a media strategy in furtherance of the Program goals. Advises Live Action spokesperson when necessary. May be requested to draft or review opinion pieces, press releases, social media copy, and/or newsbreaks for Live Action News. Communicates directly with elected and government officials and agencies, as directed by the Vice President of communications.
- Manages Content Creation: Advises content creators and helps identify political and media environment developments that may impact or influence Live Action content—including social media, video, newsbreaks and investigative reports, and fundraising and marketing materials. Recommends potential calls to action for elected officials or government agencies in furtherance of the Program goals. Serves as lead writer for projects ranging from op-ed drafts, to policy memos.
- Gathers Information: Stays informed of political developments impacting the pro-life movement, the abortion industry, and preborn lives. Identifies areas of legislative and political research, and assists in conducting polls and surveys.
- Maintains Data: Maintains up-to-date and accurate data to track the Program’s progress, including regular reports on all political developments, polling data, and contact lists for government officials and strategic partners.
- Informs: Reports to the Vice President of Communications and provides regular, written briefs to key members of Live Action’s team on all political developments.
- Executes: Develops and executes a Program strategy focused on effecting the national narrative and the abolition of abortion.
- Dedicated to pro-life mission.
- Minimum of five (5) years of combined relevant experience working in legislative roles for elected officials, advocating on specific issues, working in government agencies, and media organizations, high level communications experience, and building strategic partnership
- Understanding of 501(c)(3) rules concerning political campaigning, issue advocacy, and lobbying.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving capabilities.
- Excellent judgment and discretion
- Assist in management of media firms and contractors
- Out-of-the-box thinking with a “nose” for the story. Knows how to tell a story
using words, images, audio, or video, and understands how to craft content that
attracts an audience.
- Ability to retain a journalistic “outsider’s perspective” to bridge-build with a
variety of world-views, and to provoke and engage controversy with
persuasiveness and poise.
- Bachelors Degree
- Ability to attend in person meetings and cultivate in person relationships at least three days a week in the Washington D.C. area.
- Focuses on federal politics and D.C.-based media.
- Keeps a Monday to Friday schedule during normal business hours; occasional nights and weekends as needed.
- Maintains good working relationships with pro-life allies and partner organizations and projects a favorable image of Live Action.
- Cultivates strategic relationships with key elected and government officials and media contacts and institutions.
- Expertise in tracking current politics, news, and the state of the pro-life movement.
- Seeks philosophical and professional formation as a pro-life leader through continuing education, and by utilizing sources made available by Live Action.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION PROCESS:
No phone calls please. All staff members are required to sign Live Action's Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreement.
Live Action offers high-value benefits to our full-time employees! Live Action provides competitive and ethical health benefits for full-time employees and their families. We also have unlimited PTO for our employees as we are a work/life balance, family-oriented culture.
Live Action is a media and news nonprofit dedicated to ending abortion and inspiring a culture that respects all human life. Live Action’s groundbreaking news coverage and compelling videos reach several million people weekly across Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram. (see more here: www.facebook.com/liveaction and www.liveaction.org).